Covid-19: Evening Update

Here’s A Reminder Of Today’s Covid Headlines

=====

There have been 1,352 new cases of coronavirus confirmed today - an increase of 14 on yesterday.

177 people are currently being treated in hospital with the virus, of whom 27 are in Intensive Care - up one.

=====

A public information campaign will be needed to ensure a good uptake of Covid vaccines in 12 to 15 year olds, according to an immunology expert.

Vaccine registration for that cohort is set to open within the next two weeks.

Professor of Immunovirology at UCC, Liam Fanning, says it will be worth informing parents and guardians why they should give consent.

=====

A member of Laois County Council says Electric Picnic should not take place next month.

The organisers of the event, Festival Republic, says it will go ahead this September.

They wrote to the Taoiseach last week with proposals of how it could take place.

It’s expected 70,000 people will attend Electric Picnic, with 90 percent of tickets sold to date.

=====

Over 60 percent of the roughly 18,000 people who availed of walk-in vaccination centres this weekend are aged 19 or under.

The head of the HSE Paul Reid says 18-thousand people got a Covid jab in a walk-in clinic this bank holiday weekend.

They were set up to encourage further uptake of vaccines, and are open to those aged 16 and over who have yet to receive a first dose.

They continue to operate in 26 locations today.

Chief Clinical Officer for the HSE, Dr Colm Henry, says more people turned out than expected.

=====

An immunology expert says people here will likely receive at least one booster shot of a Covid-19 vaccine.

Health and Government officials are already planning for the rollout of a booster campaign, which could get underway within the next two or three months.

It will begin with nursing home residents, healthcare workers and those aged over 80.

Professor of Immunovirology at UCC, Liam Fanning, says we may not need a booster next year.

=====

Brisbane’s Covid lockdown’s been extended until Sunday, over fears of a growing outbreak.

The three-day long shut down of Australia’s third-largest city was due to end tomorrow.

But 13 new cases of the Delta variant has prompted the extension.

Sydney and surrounding cities in New South Wales state are in their sixth week of lockdown.


Comments

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Artist

Title

0:00 0:00

Description