Djokovic issues statement
World number one Novak Djokovic has admitted he made an ‘error of judgement’ in meeting a journalist two days after testing positive for Covid 19 last month.
Djokovic also says that his agent made a mistake on the travel form which was filled out for the Serb to enter Australia.
Australian government officials are still deciding whether to cancel Djokovic’s visa and deport him ahead of the start of the Australian Open next Monday.
Djokovic’s full statement was published on Instagram, and is also printed below.
View this post on Instagram
Djokovic’s statment in full reads:
I want to address the continued misinformation about my activities and attendance at events in December in the lead up to my positive PCR COVID test.
This is misinformation which needs to be corrected, particularly in the interest of alleviating broader concern in the community about my presence in Australia, and to address matters which are very hurtful and concerning to my family.
I want to emphasise that I have tried very hard to ensure the safety of everyone and my compliance with testing obligations.
I attended a basketball game in Belgrade on 14 December after which it was reported that a number of people tested positive with COVID-19.
Despite having no COVID symptoms, I took a rapid antigen test on 16 December which was negative, and out of an abundance of caution, also took an official and approved PCR test on that same day.
The next day I attended a tennis event in Belgrade to present awards to children and took a rapid antigen test before going to the event, and it was negative.
I was asymptomatic and felt good, and I had not received the notification of a positive PCR test result until after that event.
The next day, on December 18 I was at my tennis centre in Belgrade to fulfil a long-standing commitment for a l’Equipe interview and photoshoot. I cancelled all other events except for the l’Equipe interview.
I felt obliged to go ahead and conduct the l’Equipe interview as I didn’t want to let the journalist down, but did ensure I socially distanced and wore a mask except when my photograph was being taken.
While I went home after the interview to isolate for the required period, on reflection, this was an error of judgement and I accept that I should have rescheduled this commitment.
On the issue of my travel declaration, this was submitted by my support team on my behalf – as I told immigration officials on my arrival – and my agent sincerely apologises for the administrative mistake in ticking the incorrect box about my previous travel before coming to Australia.
This was a human error and certainly not deliberate. We are living in challenging times in a global pandemic and sometimes these mistakes can occur.
Today, my team has provided additional information to the Australian Government to clarify this matter.
While I felt it was important to address and clarify misinformation I will not be making any further comment out of utmost respect for the Australian Government and their authorities and the current process.
It is always an honour and a privilege to play in the Australian Open. The Australian Open is much-loved by players, fans and the community, not just in Victoria and in Australia, but around the globe, and I just want to have the opportunity to compete against the best players in the world and perform before one of the best crowds in the world.