Inquest into death of young man records a verdict of death by misadventure
The inquest into the death of a young man who died after three days in a coma at Cork University Hospital has heard his friends ‘begged him’ not to take anymore drugs on the night he fell ill.
19 year old Jack Downey from Clonmel died after taking a lethal dose of MDMA at the Indiependence Music festival in Mitchelstown in August 2019.
In a statement read into evidence by Sgt Fergus Twomey, one of Jack’s friends said Jack had no experience of taking drugs but wanted to get some before going to the music festival.
They bought 7 grams of MDMA, otherwise known as ecstasy, for €200 in Clonmel on the Thursday before the festival.
The friend told the court that he noticed Jack was sweating and shaking and was able to talk but in a robotic way after taking the drug on the first afternoon of the festival.
He also said someone told him that Jack had ‘bombed’ some of the drug- meaning he swallowed it wrapped in a cigarette rolling paper- and said that panic had started to set in among the group as Jack wasn’t listening to their pleas for him to stop taking anymore of the drug.
The court heard that people were ‘almost on their knees’ begging him not to take anymore.
Another friend told the inquest that Jack’s jaw was swinging and it was obvious from his eyes that he had taken drugs.
He says he was later told that Jack had done ‘loads of bombs of MDMA.’
Coroner Philip Coymn said it was tragic that Jack had decided to take drugs that weekend and recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.