Mercy University Hospital Issues Statement To Public About Reduced Operations During Tomorrow’s Industrial Action
The Mercy University Hospital (MUH) regrets that industrial action planned by the Medical Laboratory Scientists Association (MLSA) will affect patient services as normal laboratory testing services will be restricted.
The hospital fully recognises the right of MLSA members to engage in the industrial relations process in pursuit of a national claim to achieve restoration of pay parity and equal career progression with Clinical Biochemists.
The hospital is working with the MLSA and the HSE in respect of MUH’s contingency plans to ensure emergency cover arrangements are in place. Services will be operational but restricted for the work stoppage on Wednesday, 18th May which will commence at 8am and finish at 8pm.
- The Oncology Day Service at the Lee Clinic will remain open.
- The MUH Local Injury Unit in St. Mary’s Health Campus will remain open.
- The Emergency Department will remain open for the duration of the industrial action on a 24/7 basis, however, the hospital is urging patients, where possible, to use alternative health facilities such as GP services, SouthDoc, and their local pharmacist as there will be an impact on patient waiting times and therefore delays are inevitable.
- The Outpatients Department will be closed and all patient appointments have been cancelled.
- Non emergency planned inpatient and day case procedures have been cancelled. All affected patients have been offered a prioritised alternative appointment.
The hospital wishes to assure the public that the appropriate measures have been put in place to ensure a safe service and that patients will be cared for during the 12 hour strike action.